Welcome to the Safety Communications & Coaching for Supervisors Program
Program - Online Delivery
Front-line employees follow the example of their immediate supervisors. They pay attention to what the supervisor is focused on. They follow their supervisor's lead.
The Safety Communications & Coaching for Supervisors Program (SCCS) was created from a basic premise:
“Employees do what supervisors do.”
Influencing the people who influence safety at the frontline.
No influence on the frontline employee is stronger than that of a front-line supervisor. A supervisor with strong safety values will impart those values on the crew.
And likewise, the supervisor who does not give much attention to safety expects the bare minimum of safety from the team.
Smart, caring companies want to ensure that their frontline employees build a strong affinity for safety.
The most efficient way to accomplish that is to ensure that the front-line supervisors willingly step into their roles as key influencers in safety.
Supervisory isn’t about technical expertise anymore.
A survey of 38,000 employees found that out of 8 supervisory traits, employees overwhelmingly want a supervisor who is a good coach (#1), is a good communicator (#5), and who has a clear vision and strategy for their team (#7).
In the minds of employees, a supervisor’s years of job experience and technical expertise finished dead last in importance.
What matters most to employees is how well a supervisor can communicate, and coach.
Employees want to work with supervisors who have the skills and mindset to coach, communicate, empower, and demonstrate care for the employee.
The SCCS Program has been developed to accomplish that.
How the SCCS Program works.
The SCCS Program is delivered as a 12-week program – with your organization controlling the pace, the timing, the interactions, and the follow-up.
The SCCS Program is designed to ensure that your organization’s personality is foundational throughout the learning.
One representative from your organization will act as the Facilitator. The Facilitator leads all conversations, scheduling, internal communications and setting up the mentoring component within the program.
Here is how the SCCS Program rolls out.
- Mondays (Weeks 1-6) - Modules 1-6: A 30-45-minute online video training module. The weekly module sessions include downloadable PDF Summary documents, informational supplements, and a companion MP3 audio recording of the full lesson for review on-the-go.
- Mondays (Weeks 1-6) - Post-Module Discussion: A 45-minute group discussion follows each module. These discussions are conducted by the SCCS Facilitator. All conversation starters/questions are provided in the SCCS Facilitator's Guide.
- Wednesdays (Weeks 1-12) - Mentoring Program: A weekly mentoring session by middle/senior managers for approximately 15-30 minutes, one-on-one with their chosen/assigned front-line supervisor. It is imperative that all levels of the organization play a role in creating a more robust safety culture.
- Fridays (Weeks 1-12) - Weekly Wrap-up: A weekly wrap-up of 30-minutes to ensure that the learning was applied and an opportunity for supervisors to clarify their understanding of the strategies.
- Mondays (Weeks 7-12) - Module Review: A review of Modules 1 through 6; reviewing 1 module each week. Once all 6 modules have been completed, supervisors may develop a new perspective on how they are viewing the material. Therefore, a review of each module is necessary.
- Wednesdays (Weeks 7-12) - Ongoing Mentoring: For middle and senior managers, mentoring creates more meaning in their work. By Week 7, front-line supervisors feel supported in their work and feel empowered to ask questions of their mentors without fear of looking inexperienced.
- Week 13 - "Now What" Session with Kevin Burns: As a final wrap-up, a “Now What?” online session with Kevin Burns and your own SCCS Program Facilitation Team. This is a large Q&A session for participants in the SCCS Program.
- Certificate of Completion: Upon completion of Modules 1 through 6, each participant receives a completion certificate suitable for hanging on a wall, and as a motivator to continue to use what they have learned.
- Facilitator Coaching and Support: For the full 12-week program, Kevin Burns provides ongoing coaching and support to your organization’s SCCS Program Facilitator by phone, email and videoconference. It is important that you get the full benefit of this program and you will be supported fully.
- Facilitator's Guide: Each Program Facilitator is provided with a step-by-step SCCS Facilitator's Guide. This guide provides all interactive conversation starters, questions, mentor program conversation starters and copies of all Summary Sheets for each Module.
What supervisors will learn in the SCCS Program.
- tools and techniques to keep their teams from slipping into complacency,
- key strategies to transform into an exceptional supervisor,
- tools to build a cohesive team willing to look out for each other,
- techniques and strategies for self-motivation and team motivation,
- strategies for creating employee buy-in to the safety program.
Who is SCCS for?
The SCCS Program is designed for anyone who oversees other employees; from the front-line to the front-office.
If responsibilities include safety, teamwork, communications, or motivation, this program can help create a more dynamic safety culture.
Everything that happens at the frontlines starts with frontline supervisors.
New or experienced, supervisors will learn to act with confidence, and to get the trust and respect of their crews. This leads to raising your credibility as a supervisor.
Make sure supervisors have the skills and tools to effectively improve safety performance and build solid teams of people who care about what they do, and the people they do it with.
Investment: $5,995 USD
(for up to 100 supervisor participants enrolled in the SCCS Program)
Safety Communications & Coaching for Senior Leadership Teams Program (SCCSLT)
Program - Online Delivery
Working weekly with the senior leadership team.
Kevin Burns is proud to host the Safety Communications & Coaching for Senior Leadership Teams Program (SCCSLT).
This is a 6-week program of weekly video modules combined with weekly online live executive group coaching sessions.
Kevin Burns, author of the international bestseller PeopleWork: The Human Touch in Workplace Safety, is your facilitator and coach.
In SCCSLT, members of the senior leadership team will learn the most effective ways to interact with supervisory personnel as they make their way through the SCCS Program.
How the SCCSLT Program rolls out.
Senior leadership will complete each of 6 SCCSLT Program modules, one module per week. These are the same video modules as being presented to frontline supervisors. The purpose is to ensure that each senior manager is keenly aware of the skills that their supervisors are acquiring.
Each module prepares senior managers to have relevant discussions with frontline supervisors during the Mentoring Program meetings.
Each weekly module is followed by a live, online coaching and facilitation session with Kevin Burns.
In these follow-up coaching sessions, Kevin helps to interpret the learning material from the perspective of senior leadership. This allows leadership to be able to maximize their level of support for frontline supervisors.
The time commitment for the SCCSLT Program.
Each live online coaching session will run 45 minutes. Combined with the weekly module, busy senior leaders will need to commit to a total of 90-minutes per week for 6 weeks.
In addition, participation in the weekly mentoring meetings with frontline supervisors is also highly encouraged. These mentoring sessions help to cement the learning and ensure the success of the SCCS Program for supervisors.
Senior managers who agree to engage the SCCSLT Program demonstrate their commitment to the importance of safety, teamwork, and supporting the people who get the work done.
Investment: $9,995 USD
Includes both the SCCS Program (for up to 100 supervisors), and the Safety Communications & Coaching for Senior Leadership Teams Program (SCCSLT).
In order from senior leaders to get a taste of the learning materials, we have provided Module 1 as a free preview. By clicking the Free Preview Access below, you will be taken to KevBurnsLearning.com